Heretical Orthodoxy

The dangerous musings of a profane saint.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Finchale, County Durham, United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Mini-holiday over (obviously)

Greetings, citizens.

With the job transition now in my rearview mirror, I'm now set to get back on the blogging treadmill. And thanks to my* new Mac PowerBook G4 with wireless Internet capability, travel is no longer the impediment it once was.

So I'm going to try to give this blog some love while I'm also feeding the paid outlets. And since I'm neck-deep in pretty much every band I ever wanted to see, there should be enough to write about to feed even the most insatiable appetite.

My plans for the evening:
+ Meet my fellow ink-stained wretches as well as the breed of folks who can either make our jobs incredibly easy or incredibly trying... also known as publicists. (I have sympathy for these folks since I was one until last Friday, but I'm told that will pass.) Free food, free beer -- I'm told this is par for the course.
+ Take in the odd, wry songcraft of the ubiquitous Robyn Hitchcock (he's playing about 20 more shows here this week)
+ Scratch my head at the psychedlic freakouts of Jennifer Gentle
+ Either get my twang fix with the Damnations, listen to the preteens of Smoosh demonstrate how indie pop is done, or hike out to hear the irrestible hooks of Jason Falkner
+ Have my mind expanded by Midlake and get introduced to Abra Moore (a co-worker recommends her highly)
+ Experience what some call Seattle's best pop band: Delour
+ Shake my booty to United State of Electronica
+ Sleep, blessed sleep

To do all this, I will need to skip shows by Elvis Costello, Roy Lamontagne and Tift Merritt. Wow.

Those of you in the know have probably already guessed where I am. Wouldn't you like to be me this week? Unfortunately, most weeks in the new job are nothing like this one. Unfortunately.


* Not really "my" computer. It belongs to my employer. But I can't tell the difference.