Heretical Orthodoxy

The dangerous musings of a profane saint.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Finchale, County Durham, United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

This just in: commercial radio lies to its listeners

Have to give a shout to some great press my girl Lisa Wood in Seattle is getting for calling on the carpet the corrupt practices of commercial radio. Sure, I know that commercial radio DJs often are voicetracked from another city, that requests mean jack, and that countdowns are completely fabricated... but the average listener doesn't.

As she says:

“The most frustrating thing to me was the lies,” Wood said. “Every single person that called that radio station generally wanted to make a request. … You’d say, ‘Yeah, I’ll try to get it on.’ But we weren’t, you know. So it came down to this thing where it was like coming up on the playlist then maybe you’d get a good phone call out of it. Then you’d try to edit up the phone call to make it sound like this person actually got his request. It’s so deceitful.”

Lisa, if you're planning to be in Austin, Tex. next week I'd love to buy you a drink. Keep up the good work!