Heretical Orthodoxy

The dangerous musings of a profane saint.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Finchale, County Durham, United Kingdom

Thursday, April 14, 2005

That %&$@ Betsy Ross!

OK, creative class membership comes with its own, idiosyncratic list of snobberies. That's fine -- most of that I already had. To wit: music (indie and songwriterly), film (indie and/or auteur-driven; definitely not Hollywood Product), books (bouquets for Dave Eggers, Jonathan Safran Foer and David Sedaris; raspberries for Jerry Jenkins and Mary Higgins Clark), beer (gourmet; no industrial product) and food (organic preferred).

Of course, David Brooks had his own name for folks like us: "bourgeouis bohemians."

But I discovered a new one just a few days ago. As a company, we have a flagpole at our disposal, a flagpole currently with no adornment. So our publisher asked me what I thought ought to go there. So I said, "Well, of course the American flag, then right below that, I guess a company flag."

He responded: "Nah, I don't really like the American flag."

Me: "What?!? What are you talking about?"

Him: "It's not the country... I just don't like the design. The design never worked for me."

The bottom line -- poor Betsy Ross. If only she'd gone to SCAD or Renneslaer. Then we creatives could proudly fly her goshdarn flag.

Sheesh.