Heretical Orthodoxy

The dangerous musings of a profane saint.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Finchale, County Durham, United Kingdom

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Give me some credit

The goddess and I occupy a peculiar place in American, consumer-mad, debt-addicted society: we only owe money on one thing -- our home. Beyond that, we actually have some savings put away in various categories.

As a result, nearly every day our mailbox holds a form letter with a Delaware return address, and "0%" in bold, 36 pt. type just visible under the envelope. Yes, it's a credit card come-on, which is promptly shredded and tossed. (Apparently those who don't need credit are the most appealing prospective customers.)

So today, in what was apparently an act of sheer desperation, I was sent a solicitation to apply for the Chase Professional Woman's VISA. There was a snappy illustration of the card, which displays anonymous pantyhosed legs with a dangling briefcase.

Nothing else has worked, so I suppose I can't blame them. Still, pretty funny.